Every electric provider will have a few good deals on certain plans. It may be a 3 month rate or a 15 month rate but what you will see is a slightly cheaper price for that term than a typical contract term.
It will not always be the 3 month and 15 month fixed rate plan that offers the best electricity price but this serves as an example so I can explain what is going on here.
Many times a standard 12 month fixed rate will offer the best deal but a provider can steer you to a different rate plan by making look better.
Even if certain things about an electricity company rate plan are bad for the customer an electricity provider will market it in such a way that you may see the bad aspects as positive.
These energy suppliers are simply featuring the bad parts of their plan and making you pay more for it. Don’t fall for these tricks as you end up losing in the end.
Below are some points to consider when choosing an electricity company and one of their rate plans.
- Choose a standard electricity rate plan such as 6 months, 12 months, 24, or 36 months.
- Don’t always go with the cheapest plan especially if it is a short term 1 – 3 month deal. That price will go up.
- Lock in to a fixed rate and skip going with the cheaper variable price. Variable rates are always subject to change.
- If a company leaves off TDSP charges, surcharges, and other hidden fees in their rate don’t trust that they have your best interests in mind. Go with a different provider.
- Stay away from electricity rate plans that say they are fixed but also have a fuel surcharge that can adjust with the commodities market. This is a trick and it simply means your electricity company rate is not truly locked in as fixed.